JOB OPPORTUNITY: Intake Support Counsellor
Download PDF Job Posting here
Intake Support Counsellor – Competition #8-21
Do you have a gift for building rapport in highly emotional situations?
Are you looking for an opportunity to deepen your clinical skills?
Would you thrive in a fast-paced team environment where the details matter?
ABOUT FAMILY SERVICES EMPLOYEE ASSISTANCE PROGRAM (FSEAP)
Family Services Employee Assistance Program (FSEAP) provides clinical counselling services to employees of client organizations who may be experiencing problems in their personal, family, or work lives. In addition, the program provides a variety of organizational services to its corporate clients, including workplace consulting and training, and critical incident stress management responses. As a social enterprise OF Family Services of Greater Vancouver (FSGV), FSEAP is a fee-generating business, with all of its profits going to support the larger work of FSGV and the Greater Vancouver community.
HERE’S WHAT WE CAN DO TOGETHER
This role is primarily responsible for providing front line support to clients calling into the Care Centre (Counselling/Crisis Line and Service Intake Centre). As part of the Care Centre team, this role will encompass assessing client needs and determining when to elevate clients to an appropriate Masters Level Counsellor. The Intake Support Counsellor will also follow up with service requests, contacting clients about services, referrals, and other administrative tasks. The role involves data entry and collaboration with FSEAP Care Centre Counsellors, and other FSEAP employees, in particular Clinical Managers, Account Managers and the Affiliate Manager. The role requires the ability to manage telephonic client and affiliate contact along with detailed data entry, in a mental health service environment.
WHAT YOU BRING
Education, Training, Experience
- Minimum Bachelor degree in Psychology or related field,
- Minimum 2 years related experience, or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience
- 2 years’ experience in customer service assessing and supporting critical customer needs
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
- Knowledge of and experience with, client contact regarding meeting their mental health and other client identified needs
- The ability to assess when it is appropriate to refer to a Clinical Intake Counsellor
- Experience working in a fast-paced, multi tasking environment (with many interruptions), while answering phone calls, booking appointments, and interacting with the public in a tactful and empathetic manner
- Ability to collaborate effectively with multiple team members, while modeling and promoting a team environment
- Ability to quickly learn unique services and systems
- Entering data and scanning and attaching documents in a client management database requiring superior level of attention to detail and consistency on a multi-user database
- Proven ability to design and type documents and use spreadsheets
- Mid to high level of competency using MS Office applications (Outlook, Word, Excel)
- Strong sense of idealism and desire to give back to the community
- Strong communication ability
- Ability to work independently and as part of a close knit team
- Good sense of humour and ability to have fun while working
- Technological Competence and attention to detail, including utilizing appropriate technology to: create, copy, scan, attached documents; manage information, maintain records, communicate with clients, colleagues and customers; enter and manage client data and appointment scheduling
- Collaborative Communication, including teamwork & cooperation, interpersonal communication, diversity and cultural agility
- Personal Effectiveness, including integrity and ethical behavior, personal resilience, adaptability/flexibility, commitment to learning
- Personal Leadership, including influence, initiative, judgment and decision making, creativity and innovation
- Commitment to excellence, including results focus, client-centered service, planning and organizing, professional expertise and technological proficiency
YOUR KEY CONTRIBUTIONS
- Answer initial calls in order to collaborate with clients to identify and design successful support
- Managing a client who presents in crisis and refer to the appropriate resource
- Build rapport and maintain relationships based on mutual respect, trust, sensitivity, transparency, empathy and compassion with clients
- Collect client information, conduct risk and needs assessment
- Entering contact notes and details into client database
- Manage own emotions and strong feelings, maintaining a calm and tactful composure under a broad range of emotionally challenging circumstances to think clearly and stay focused under pressure
- Follow up calls to confirm file or referral details with clients, cancel/reschedule appointments for clients with in-house counsellors, using FSEAP database
- Follow up on referrals via phone to confirm counsellors have accepted referrals and that clients have been contacted
- Participates in the training of the Administrative Coordinators to ensure that all administrative tasks are completed efficiently, error free, and meet time deadlines
- Develop, refine and maintain administrative process and tracking statistics and data as required to increase Care Centre efficiency
WHAT WE OFFER YOU
FSGV provides a comprehensive compensation package, with pension and generous extended health benefits for our regular staff.
FSGV supports career development and training for staff to reach their potential, offering mentorship and professional advancement in a supportive environment. We recognize the importance of work-life balance, wellness and a safe, inclusive and welcoming workplace that values diversity and respect for all.
Work Hours: Part time position of 21 hours per week
Salary: GS9 Step 1 $1,084.86 gross bi-weekly with competitive benefits & pension package
Location: Work in the culturally vibrant Vancouver neighbourhood of Commercial Drive & East Broadway
HOW TO APPLY
If this describes you, please submit your application to us through our website.
Only short listed candidates will be contacted for interviews. Thank you for your interest.
FSGV is committed to the principles of diversity. We encourage applications from qualified people of all genders expressions and identities, sexual orientations, visible minorities, Indigenous persons and persons with disabilities.
If you require a disability-related accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process, please email your resume and cover letter (indicating the competition number #8-21 in email subject line) outlining your interest and relevant experience to your contact information to email@example.com for follow-up.
**if you are an internal candidate, please indicate “Internal Candidate” in the Comments section at the bottom of the online application**