Community Mental Health Worker - (180802-CMHW8-MR) (Open Until Filled)
HEU – Community subsector
Hours of Work
Saturday – Wednesday 23:00 – 07:00 hrs *Overnight premium starting April 2019*
Community Mental Health Worker
Maple Ridge, BC V2X 6H1 CA (Primary)
Mental Health Programs
Permanent Full Time
Coast Mental Health (Coast) is one of the largest mental health non-profit societies in Canada, and operates a large array of innovative housing and community based rehabilitation services for people with a mental illness living in and around Vancouver. Coast operates in the Lower Mainland of British Columbia providing approximately 1000 people with supportive housing and 4000 clients living in the community with a wide variety of programs and services.
Coast fosters a client-driven, recovery-oriented environment that promotes restoring health, personal growth and a return to society for individuals with a mental illness through advocacy and providing direct programs and services.
Under the direction of the Program Manager the Community Mental Health Worker is responsible for the day to day running of the support and advocacy services, social, recreational, volunteer and food programs as well as the ensuring safety and welfare of participants in program by use of the principles of psychosocial rehabilitation practices and in line with the mission, objectives and policies of Coast Mental Health.
University degree or equivalent combination of post-secondary education and experience in an applied Human/Social Service field and two years in a mental health setting including community work experience are required.
You must have a valid First Aid Certificate (“Emergency First Aid – Community Care” or equivalent) and a Ministry of Justice Criminal Records Clearance.
Knowledge and Abilities
• Knowledge of housing issues local and community resources
• Firm understanding of harm reduction approach and its implementation in a community based setting.
• Demonstrated ability in crisis de-escalation skills applied in a team setting
• Demonstrated ability to work with individuals who are marginalized, under served and who may be at risk of homelessness or homeless.
• Demonstrated ability working with individuals living with substance misuse issues and or an untreated mental illness.
• Understanding of a trauma informed approach
• Knowledge of psychosocial rehabilitation practices
• Knowledge of program policy and procedures
• Knowledge and proficiency in relevant software
• Ability to work with clients living with mental illness
• A good understanding of the issues related to meeting basic needs of food, clothing, shelter.
• Ability to work effectively independently and in cooperation with others.
• Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
• Physical ability to carry out the duties of the position.
• Ability to observe and recognize changes in clients.
• Demonstrated ability to facilitate groups.
• Some knowledge of the criminal justice system
• We believe in the person, not the disease
• We operate client-centered care under the principles of psychosocial rehabilitation
• There is a variety of work within a particular position and within the organization
• We strive to be the best that we can be
• We hold Exemplary Status accreditation through Accreditation Canada
• We have won numerous awards for our innovative programming
• We care about our employees, and believe in living our values and culture throughout the organization
* This position is anticipated to start in October 2018, with orientation and training sooner*
***Employees of Coast must have applied within seven days of the posting date with their internal account (Coast email address registered) to be considered as an internal applicant. Current Coast employees who apply to this posting using external accounts or after the 7 day deadline will be considered as external candidates. Seniority will not apply.***
Coast Mental Health is committed to creating a culture of diversity and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to age, gender, ethnicity, sexual orientation, religion or disability.
Apply here: https://coastmentalhealth.mua.hrdepartment.com/hr/ats/Posting/view/573/0/0/0