UNYA has 1 permanent full time Youth Care Counsellor position available in our Overly Creative Minds
Program. Position is 40 hours per week, usually afternoon and evenings: Monday – Thursday, 12-8 pm,
Fridays 9-5 pm.
WHO ARE WE:
Urban Native Youth Association (UNYA) believes that youth are the experts in their own lives. UNYA has
developed a Philosophy of Care, drawing from best practices, and these philosophies are the grounding
framework that shape all of our decisions and every interaction we have with the youth we serve. Following
these philosophies empowers our staff to meet the youth where they are at by affording them the ability to
balance flexibility and structure to meet our youth’s needs, and ensure that our youth experience a consistent
quality of care across all UNYA programs. Our 5 key philosophies are:
- Trauma-Informed Practice Two-Eyed Seeing
- Harm Reduction Practice Youth/Person Centered Practice
- Culture as Therapy
Overly Creative Minds (OCM) offers Indigenous youth ages 11 to 24 a safe and welcoming space that provides
weekly and one time opportunities that explore arts and culture through skill-building, leadership, and
DETAILS ON THE JOB:
1. Establishing rapport and developing relationships with youth and other professionals.
2. Recruitment and outreach to increase youth participation and build community partnerships
3. Organizing, facilitating, and supervising youth in a variety of activities that encourage youth to explore
arts and culture.
4. Program administration responsibilities including statistics, reports and evaluative measures.
5. Providing healthy snack or meal, cleaning, and upkeep of space.
6. Fostering a positive and engaging workplace for all.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE:
Are you: Dynamic? Positive? Confident? Reliable? Accountable? Compassionate?
Do you: Take the initiative when given the opportunity? Believe in open and positive communication with
everyone? Do what is necessary to get the job done?
If so, then please read on!
DETAILS ON WHAT WE NEED:
- Relevant degree or diploma, 2 years of recent related experience, or an equivalent combination of
education, training, and experience.
- Understanding of the intergenerational impacts of the residential school systems, colonization, the
Indigenous Community, and an understanding and willingness to participate in Indigenous protocols,
practices, and ceremonies.
- First Aid, Foodsafe, Class 4 Drivers License (or willingness to obtain these items)
- Satisfactory Criminal Record Check.
DETAILS ON HOW TO APPLY:
- If you want to become a part of this tremendous team, then let us know how you match up to our
wants and needs as outlined above.
- Send a cover letter and resume to the Director of Youth Programs @ email@example.com
- We will be conducting interviews on a rolling basis, and will end the posting when we have found our
next Youth Care Counsellor.
- We thank everyone for applying, but due to time constraints only those short-listed will be contacted.
THANK YOU FOR TAKING THE TIME TO READ. PLEASE PASS ON TO OTHERS WHO YOU FEEL WOULD BE A FIT!