Recognized and Established
Providing industry-leading training since 1996, Rhodes Wellness College is recognized as a leader in life coaching, therapeutic counselling, wellness counselling, and holistic nutrition coaching and counselling. Our Graduates are eligible to gain professional designations from the Canadian Professional Counsellors Association (CPCA), the Association of Cooperative Counsellors of Canada (ACCT), the International Coaching Federation (ICF), the Health Coach Alliance (HCA) and the Canadian Association for Integrative Nutrition (CAIN).
Employers frequently request our graduates because of the experiential nature of our training and the ability of our students to handle real life situations. You will be supported by our faculty, staff, fellow classmates, and administration throughout your program as you seek to “lean in” and actively practice what you are learning.
Experiential learning is “learning by doing”. Research indicates that adult students learn more effectively by practicing skills that are demonstrated. As a student at Rhodes Wellness College, you will be exposed to this kind of “hands on” learning.
Students integrate new behaviours in an ongoing process, alternating between the two processes of abstraction (how could I do that differently to achieve a more satisfying result?), and application (now that I know there is a more appropriate behaviour or skill, how do I put it into practice?).
In examining one’s own behaviours, as well as those of other group member’s, most students achieve a high degree of self-awareness. This awareness helps the student to effectively coach or counsel other individuals without inflicting damage or allowing bias, assumptions, or previous experiences to interfere with the helping process. This results in excellence in our profession.
What Makes Rhodes Unique?
At Rhodes, we use an experiential learning model. Experiential learning is the process of actively engaging students in an authentic experience that will have benefits and consequences. Students make discoveries and experiment with knowledge themselves instead of only hearing or reading about the experiences of others. Students also reflect on their experiences, thus developing new skills, attitudes, and new theories or ways of thinking.
Our faculty have mastered their craft and are still learning. They embody our 8 values and will help our students be the best version of themselves possible. They have walked the path, holding space and providing support for many thousands of clients over their many years of experience as coaches, counsellors, and nutritionists.
They feel passionate about sharing their knowledge and find great joy in helping students learn how to help others. We are grateful for their incredible ability to mentor and guide our students.
Support…..did you know?
- Our admissions advisors are also trained in career coaching? This enables them to assist you to clarify your career path which will lead to you feeling confident that you are on a path that is customized for your growth and development.
- Students have access to complimentary or low-cost counselling through the Rhodes Wellness College student-run Counselling Centre or through professional counsellors who are hired by Rhodes to help students.
- There are dozens of events held monthly for students, including feature skills practice labs, networking events, and information sessions on career paths and professional designations.
- All Diploma programs have a practicum where students have the opportunity to practice their newly acquired skills and knowledge in an industry environment, which helps them develop further skills and confidence required to excel in industry.
- Supervision is a huge focus for Rhodes across all programs. Professional Counsellor Diploma students receive a year of supervision (ask Admissions for details) free of charge, saving graduates of that program thousands of dollars.
- There is an experienced financial aid team that can quickly handle any questions or concerns about how to pay for tuition and other learning costs, so you can focus on your learning.
- We collect feedback from all practicum hosts and potential employers quarterly. A program advisory committee meets annually. The courses are then evaluated and modified as needed to meet changes in the industry, giving you the confidence that your skills are current and meet the demands of today’s job market.