Despite improvements in standard of living, people are sleeping less, exercising less, and feeling more anxious and depressed than they were decades ago. Fortunately, there’s much that can be done to help tackle these problems. A career in wellness counselling is an opportunity to have a positive impact on the lives of many, by helping them to integrate wellness principles into their daily routine.
Wellness is a broad term that encompasses a variety of factors which contribute to personal wellbeing. That’s why the wellness counselling training at Rhodes Wellness College helps students prepare to offer guidance to clients on physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual wellbeing.
Why is wellness so important? Let’s take a closer look.
Why Is Wellness So Important?
Wellness is not about the absence of illness.
It’s about learning how to improve our overall quality of life and health.
Dimensions of Wellness
- Intellectual wellness: Willingness to engage in creative and intellectually stimulating activities.
- Spiritual wellness: The ability to find meaning and purpose in one’s life.
- Emotional wellness: Accepting a range of feelings in oneself and others, and managing one’s emotions in a healthy way.
- Physical wellness: Practicing good habits with regards to nutrition, physical activity, and general health.
Did you know? The dimensions of wellness are interconnected, and improvements in one area can have positive impacts on others.
Benefits of Physical Wellness
- Physical activity can help fight symptoms of depression and anxiety
- Even just five minutes of aerobic exercise can stimulate anti-anxiety effects
- Physical activity helps counteract feelings of withdrawal and hopelessness
- Exercise can improve self-image and self-esteem
- Exercise can promote opportunities for social inclusion
Benefits of Emotional Wellness
- Happiness is associated with lower blood pressure
- Positive emotions can help boost the immune system
- Emotional wellness is associated with a lower risk of heart disease
Did you know? Stress can contribute to a variety of physical health problems, including high blood pressure, heart disease, and diabetes.
Benefits of Spiritual Wellness
- Finding your purpose in life
- Understanding your beliefs and acting accordingly
- Developing empathy and caring for others
- Practicing forgiveness and compassion
Pro Tip: Relaxation exercises like yoga and meditation can lower stress levels, improving not only spiritual, but also emotional and physical wellness.
Benefits of Intellectual Wellness
- A large vocabulary helps to protect the brain from cognitive decline
- Reading can increase empathy and emotional intelligence
- Being creative can boost your immune system
- Creativity can increase happiness
Tips and Strategies for Improving Wellness
- Take classes or workshops
- Read widely
- Learn a new language
- Meditate or spend time alone
- Be inquisitive and curious
- Live by your principles
- Cultivate optimism
- Accept your feelings
- Practice stress management
- Exercise daily
- Get plenty of sleep
- Eat healthy and nutritional meals