What Are “Counselling Competencies”
Prospective students to Rhodes College often ask what types of skills are required to become a registered professional counsellor. The Canadian Professional Counsellors Association (cpca-rpc.ca) identifies eight broad categories of skill sets to be mastered. These “competencies” are
- Describe Theoretical Approaches: Such theories as cognitive- behaviour, family systems, holistic and affective approaches.
- Conduct Client Needs Assessment: Assessing a client, including knowing signs for addictions, mental illness and suicide are critical skills. At Rhodes College, all professional counsellor students learn how to administer a comprehensive and detailed life assessment, which assists in the assessment of family of origin and other issues.
- Develop a Therapeutic Relationship: Creating a safe connection for the client requires high levels of trust and rapport building, sincerity and the ability to provide unconditional positive regard.
- Employ Counselling Interventions: This includes setting measureable outcomes with the client. Counselling techniques are broad and varied – from simple “talk therapy” to psychodrama.
- Manage Cases: Record keeping, including keeping a case file, collaborating with other professionals, and providing security for sensitive information
- Demonstrate a Commitment to Professional Practice: This includes knowledge and operation within a strong code of ethics which protects client’s privacy and respects diversity
- Demonstrate Communication Skills: Excellent listening, probing and summarizing skills. The ability to read and interpret clinical information including understanding of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders
- Demonstrate Wellness Practices: Can identify personal stressors and knows when to ask for help. Can identify and manage signs of burnout.
All students enrolled in the Professional Counsellor Diploma Program at Rhodes College are prepared for membership into the Canadian Professional Counselling Association. Through your membership, you are eligible for professional insurance, third party billing, and a benefits package. In addition, at Rhodes College, students in the Professional Counsellor Diploma Program are provided with two years of post-graduate supervision absolutely free! To find out more about this exciting, life changing career, give us a call 604-708-4416. www.rhodescollege.ca